Adventures of an Armchair Anthropologist

Friday, January 12, 2007

Bomb(shell)s Away!

Alright, I’ll admit it. I’m a hopeless romantic. And since I also love to read, I’ll give you one guess what one of my favorite genres is. That’s right, Romance. Yesterday I heard some sad news: my favorite line, the Silhouette Bombshell line, is ending. Now I have to add that this news has been out for a few months, but since I don’t have a lot of reading time, I don’t keep current. I am so upset though that I had to rant about it for a few minutes.

I starting reading romance novels when I was just 8. I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with romance novels. I love them because of the sappy romance. But I hate them because the heroines were always so weak. I hate that the heroines always had to have a man to rescue them or to make them feel satisfied with their life. I always felt this was demeaning and didn’t give women anything to strive for in their lives except to find a man. Why couldn’t the heroines be strong, confident women who rescued their men instead?

With Bombshell I thought I had found a home. These heroines were like nothing you’ve ever read about before. (I like to think that these women were like me!) Now they’re gone. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to read a “regular” romance novel again. I can only hope that the authors of these exceptional books will keep writing books with the same strong characters in the future.

Goodbye Bombshell. You will be missed.

Favorite Bombshell book: Her Kind of Trouble by Evelyn Vaughn
Favorite Bombshell series: The Grailkeepers

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home